Thursday, November 02, 2006

candy..Candy..CAndy..CANdy..CANDy..CANDY!



Halloween was lots of fun! Trick O' Treating in our neighborhood was more than successful for my candy loving kids, who carried home 2 huge bags filled with sticky sweets.

So what is the story behind all this? Is Halloween a conspiracy between dentists and candy makers? I rushed out to buy the last 4 bags of candy left on the shelf at Longs Drugstore so I would have enough for the kids coming to our house. And now.... aside from the candy my children scored Trick O' Treating, I also have most of that candy left.

My kids would constantly eat candy and so instead of battling over each piece I decided to go for the 3-day-rule, that a friend of mine suggested:

"Let them eat as much as they want for 3 days, and then give the rest away.."


My friend pointed out that this rule should overall be better for their teeth, eating a lot at once, is healthier than eating a bit over time. It almost worked for us. I ended up trading in the left over candy for a toy as well (they really were lucky this year!)

I found this article by Kristen Gerencher "Candy for Cash" that might be interesting in this context.

But what I am really curious about is:"What do you do with your kids halloween candy?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay H. said...

Right now it’s hide it on top of the fridge and hope he doesn’t see it. But then again, he’s 3 years old, and not wise enough to ask. I think the 3-day rule is OK, but it’s the “eat as much as you want” part that would be tough to follow. My son would eat until his insides turned out, so I’d have to add a “within reason” clause if we adopt your rule next year….

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home