Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Fall of Tower Records



This is really sad. Very sad. I started my first real job for a german indie record distribution company in 1989. I met my husband working for that record company. We moved to the UK because he worked for a record company there. We ran a record company out of our house in Amsterdam. My husband is now working for a record (oh...I mean) music distributor in San Francisco and our small house is filled with his CD and Record collection.

We knew this is happening and we love our ipods - but somehow when I read the paper today and saw the add below it all became real... real... real.. SAD!

Any jobs for my husband anyone?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, was saddened to see Tower Records close shop - until I actually went into the 'record' store.
#1: terrible selection
#2: over priced cds
#3: no records
#4: terrible music being played in the store

This is the one in Emeryville (by Trader Joe's). I saw the going out of business signs and decided to go in. There was nothing to buy. It was all old garbage.

It's hard to be sympathetic to such a poorly run store. The one on Durant sucked, too. Overpriced, bad selection, terrible staff.

Plus, they caught me shoplifting.

-Danny De Leon

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jay H. said...

Wait, doesn't your husband still have a job?? I wrote up my own recollections on Tower Records' downfall the FIRST time they filed for bankrupcy - if you're interested, it's at

http://agonyshorthand.blogspot.com/2004/02/elegy-for-corporate-behemoth.html

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home